Tuesday, January 20, 2015

MLK Day

Hey all! It's a day late, but we did get email from Sister Barclay today!

Elder Teh visits zone conference
Turns out she has been sick for the last four days so be sure to send prayers her way for a speedy recovery. Not sure what she's down with but it's no fun to be sick!

Here's a few bits from her email to me:

"So it has been so super crazy, as always... but, Liz, I went to a Baptist church. It was for the Martin Luther King program they have here; we sang at it! And it was so different from our church! ...It was really intense...[the minister] She yelled so loud! Almost like she was trying to get her beliefs into your soul! Shoot! It was crazy!

Then yesterday, we went downtown (New Orleans) to march in the MLK Parade! We as missionaries were pretty much the whitest people ever! And people kept saying, 'Look! It's the Jesus people! Where are your bikes?' hahaha it was crazy and so fun! Then me and Sister Davis decided we wanted to stay downtown for awhile and just take the trolley home..."


Sounds like they had a very busy day with the holiday yesterday! How fun to hear from her.

Then my mom forwarded on the email she received from Collette:

"On Wednesday, we had zone conference and Elder Teh from the Seventy came and spoke to us. It was intense! He talked to us about being exactly obedient missionaries and it was really good. There is always something we can do to be better. He was awesome and I even got to have lunch with him and his wife! It was so cool!....

On Sunday, it was stake conference and Elder Parker of the area seventy spoke. You'll have to look him up; he is awesome! He talked to us about having faith and how blessed we are to be a part of the church.


Today is Tuesday, I know, but it is our p-day because of MLK Day yesterday! It was crazy; all the missionaries got to march in a parade!... After the parade some of the Denham Spring sisters came to New Orleans and we spent the day with them. It was so much fun! We went all over!...


We kinda got ourselves stuck downtown so we did some hardcore tracting! It was really fun. I smiled at this old man and he said, 'Well, thank you, baby, for your smile. I really needed that today.' Ahh, it made me so happy! So then we were all ready to get on the trolley and head home cause we had an appointment when a marching band stops all the traffic and all the trolleys! ...We finally got on the trolley then prayed so hard that we'd make it home in time and let me tell you, mama, Heavenly Father works in mysterious ways... and answers prayers because that was the fastest bus I've ever been on! And we made it on time to our appointment! Heavenly Father is amazing!...


One thing I really love about this mission: I think I'm coming out of my shy shell! Finally! I'm just being me and loving it! I know who I am and it makes me so grateful that people are so confident in themselves. I really needed that lesson; that being you is the best thing and being confident in who you are is ok! A lot of folks down here are a little on the heavy side and they are just fine with that. They look at every curve as beautiful and they have just taught me to love being me! How incredible!


Also, I'm going to send you the funniest picture; you're going to love it! Downtown there is a mall on the river walk hahaha and they have a whole store just for Crocs.... and I just about peed my pants when I saw it... they have crocs in boot form, ked form, little kid form, and I'm just thinking why????? hahah it's crazy!



....I'm doing really good and I know that even though Louisiana is crazy and different, I truly know that I was sent here for a reason. I know that only through Heavenly Father and through Jesus Christ's atonement can we return to live with him! I know that religion really does make you who you are and I'm so grateful I was raised in the Church of Jesus Christ. I know that families can be together forever and Heavenly Father loves us! I know how important prayer and scripture study is! I know this gospel is true!"

LOVE THIS GIRL! Send her some love in a letter this week, won't you??

No comments:

Post a Comment